Tuesday, July 28, 2009

leaving the nest

i guess i'll have to put my dreams of becoming a broadway star on hold for now.

the wait is finally over-- i received my official offer from Google to join them in Mountain View, CA as a new web designer/illustrator. i receive the documents in the mail by the end of the week and while i'm very excited (and flattered, and grateful), there's obviously a lot to deal with in light of this news.

living arrangements:
finding an apartment is difficult. finding an apartment with another person (whom i haven't yet found) on the other side of the country is significantly more difficult. i'm looking to live in san francisco...which is expensive. i have about two weeks to straighten this out...but i'm praying that another RISD alumnus finds him/herself in the same situation so i have a trustworthy roommate.

personal ties:
it's obvious i'll be leaving my family, but they will always be family. i also have to leave all of my friends AND my colorblind senior color technician behind. making a new set of quality friends is difficult. it took me 22 years to find mine. i hope i'm not 44 when i find a good group on the west.

recent purchases:
while in italy this past winter, i invested in a new pair of beautiful italian leather boots. how will i ever wear them on the west? this is surly my biggest problem.

in any case, i was supposed to revisit my painting this week, but craigslist and facebook have suddenly taken over my life. here is what i managed to do last wednesday night:



wish me luck...or send me leads on an apt haha

1 comment:

  1. You will be missed most dearly over on the humble east coast my friend.
    I'll make sure to try to visit NY before you leave, even if it's only for just enough time for one last hug.
    Let me know how things go with the move. I have a few friends in that area, who I have no doubt would love to meet you and show you around.
    Good luck and congrats! <3

    ReplyDelete